Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dr. Laura, what say ye?

Someone brought up Dr. Laura in a previous post, which kind of got me thinking. I actually have been known to listen to her, it's kind of funny to listen to her rip people a new one over trivial things and to "hear" the looks on their faces when the conversation does not go as planned.

I often find her to be excessively nasty though, and she comes off as bitter or hateful at times. She's been known to go into completely bizarre ranting sessions that are bordering on shocking.

Then there are the ones that are not only amusing, but right on base

A little nasty at first, but not entirely off base. at the end she goes into that territory of hateful and insulting. People do not learn anything from that sort of "help" except that they probably should not call Dr. Laura again.

Right on target, and very educational. This one applies well to me.

I have no clue what to think of this one, it was kind of interesting but who knows what is true and what is not. The photo -does- look a lot like Dr. L's son.

Not sure what I think of this one either. It comes off as Dr. Laura telling us women to get our rears back into the kitchen... Maybe she's very old fashioned, who knows. It left a bad taste in my mouth though.

The end of this one is HILARIOUS, I love the Dr. Laura doll.

Some random person on Youtube's perspective... Also interesting

Some good stuff, some bull

Well then!


I do not like many of her comments regarding teen and out of wedlock pregnancy, or that she feels that if a woman does get pregnant, she should -have- to marry him, so they will not have the child out of wedlock. I don't agree that all teen moms should put their babies up for adoption- lord knows I did not, and it worked out just fine.

I love her stance on stay at home moms. I agree with her that staying at home is the ideal thing. I do not, however, think she really considers that staying home is not always possible in every situation. It's more of a "stay home or you're a bad mother" vibe I get from listening. Staying at home can be good or bad, depending on the person and on their child. It's not a one size fits all sort of thing.

I recall one thing she said, about how sad it made her to see daycare/school kids walking down the sidwalk holding onto one of those toddler leash things with the handles all down the line. That made me laugh, I hate those things too. Kids on leashes kind of freak me out. Ironically, Jaymes' teacher used one on the field trip to the fair and only Jaymes used it. He's so silly.

Anyway... I think that in some cases, Dr. Laura's style is very effective. In some cases, she'sjust plain bitchy and cruel. Either way, her show is very entertaining.

No comments: