Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's Okay!

How many times have you been at someone's house, or in a waiting room, or in a store and your child is doing something he shouldn't be, and when you try to stop him from whatever that something is, the person you're with says "Oh no, he's fine! It's okay!"? (Wow, long run on sentence)

So often, when we're in a waiting room, Jaymes will start doing something he should not be doing. Maybe it's an obsession with someone's purse. I'll tell him to cut it out, the person being harassed says "oh no, it's okay!"

So I feel like an idiot for continuing to tell Jaymes to stop, or for pulling him away but I also don't want him antagonizing other people and thinking that something he knows perfectly well is not allowed is fine.

Why do people do this? is it a politeness thing? Do they not want to offend the parents? I'd much rather that person being poked at by Jaymes give him a good, stern NO. If it's really bothering them and they're saying "it's ok" just to be polite... well that annoys the hell out of me! Don't say it's ok if it isn't, and even if it is ok, it's not your place to make me as a mom feel like a moron for enforcing the rules!

Wow, this is a godawful post. I'll re-write it later probably. My apologies, folks.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh I agree. I think they say it because they really have no other idea what to say. I normally say no its not okay and blah blah blah.

Maddy said...

I think it is a politeness thing, they say it so that you won't feel so bad as a parent, at least that's my best guess.
Cheers

may said...

There are some morons who get really upset at anyone else correcting their little angels (even when it's 100% deserved) so I think a lot of people have given up on outwardly caring what other people's kids do. Unfortunately.

I distinctly remember one time when I was about 4 or 5 and I was running around the mall out of control, and some strange lady grabbed me roughly and yelled at me when I bumped into her. I was shocked, and mortified when my mother came up to the woman and THANKED her. I haven't seen anyone do something like that in years.

/feels old