Friday, November 20, 2009

I do not like green eggs and ham (the DVD). I do not like it, Sam I Am.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like it here or there, I do not like it anywhere. I do not like it in the rain, or on a train. It pains my brain. I've seen it here, I've seen it there. I think I've seen it everywhere. In the living room, at therapy, on my laptop, you name it. I cannot watch it anymore, it's been watched so much, it is a bore.

However, Jaymes does love green eggs and ham. He does, he loves it, Sam I Am. And he will watch it here or there, he will watch it anywhere. He will watch it in a house, he will watch it with a mouse. He will watch it in a box, and he will watch it with a fox. He will watch it in the car, and he will watch it in a tree, it is so good, so good you see. So he will watch it in the dark, and he will watch it in the rain, and he will watch it on a plane. He will watch it on a boat, he will watch it on a goat. Jaymes sure does love green eggs and ham, and bored, so bored, so bored I am.

Jaymes is obsessed with Green Eggs and Ham. I curse you, Dr. Seuss. Although it is incredibly cute. So I guess it's ok. Ever since he got his hearing aids, watching green eggs and ham has been hilarious for both of us. Jaymes goes along with the words. He actually gets out whole rhyming sentences, it's really neat. He also adjusts his voice for each character. Sam I am has a happy voice, and the other guy (who does not like green eggs and ham) has a loud, angry voice. Jaymes does it perfectly, and he does the part of the angry guy with passion. It's really funny to listen to him. He takes it very seriously.

He has also begun to follow along with the show in his book. I wonder if this would be a good way to start teaching him to read certain words in print, since he knows them and loves them. I guess that might not be genuine "reading" though, if he's got it all memorized. I don't know.

I love the hearing aids. I love how much more Jaymes is talking, I love the clarity of the words, and the volume control. I love that his voice has emotion now, where it has always been fairly monotone. Jaymes loves the hearing aids. He gets upset when they come out at bedtime or bathtime, and he asks for them first thing in the morning. He comes right out of his room, asks for a popsicle like he does every morning (and never gets one!) and then says "Want ears, want ears."

I think this has been a huge success. I'm not sure the school is on board with it, but they will be in time. I have faith in the principal over at cash, she's really good. So is Jaymes teacher. They just have to get used to my way of doing things. I don't think I always ask for things correctly, I can be a little bit blunt sometimes. I have a lot of foot-in-mouth moments.

This is one of those situations where Jaymes makes us all look stupid. Everybody, myself included, was so sure Jaymes would make the whole hearing aid thing a huge fight, and that there was no way he'd keep them in... Well, he sure proved us wrong!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this is a very legitimate way for him to learn to read. All three of my kids learned to read with Books on Records way back 30 something years ago. They had their very own little kiddie record player. The book and record sets were purchased together at the book store. There was a ring of a bell at the end of each page to let the child know when to turn the pages.

They were not autistic, but they played those records until I was ready to scream! And their favorite? Holliver Bolliver Butt. (because the reader said butt")Dr. Suess could make them fall over laughing as they played that one section over and over and over.

Amber DBTD said...

I used to have a book and tape set with the little bell that rang at the end of each page. Those were fun.

I guess my reasoning for why that may not be a good way to teach Jaymes to read was because right now he has some serious echolalia going on. He can remember (and copy) long strings of sentences, but it's not really a learning kind of thing, it's just... Like he's a little tape recorder. But hey, either way, it would be cool to send him to school with a book and be all "I taught him to read!"

Heeheehee.

leah said...

Good news that Jaymes likes his hearing aids!

Nolan has a bit of echolalia, too (though he doesn't have autism- for him, it is one of the verbal processing problems from his hearing loss). We can say, "Nolan, do you want a popsicle?" and we'll get back, "Nowan, do you want a popsicle?" rather than a "Yes." It can be a problem, because he'll score highly on some language tests- but he doesn't always understand what was asked or what he's saying! It can be fun sometimes- he once copied his speech therapist and walked around saying, "Nolan has good bilabial sounds."