Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jolted into reality

I always feel a bit like an ass for posting on the same subject another blogger (an autism mommy blogger, no less) has just blogged about. Kind of feels like being a 5th grade copycat. However, her post reminded me, like a whack in the head with one of those giant sized beachballs, that summer is almost upon us- a fact I've been keeping myself blissfully unaware of. Ok, not quite unaware, but you get the idea.

Summertime, for the neighborhood kids, is a time of great excitement. Yay, vacation! Not so much for us. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy having jaymes around. I miss him during the day, and there is nothing I love more than cuddling up on the couch with him at naptime and letting him fall asleep with his little hands holding mine. He's such a little cuddler.

However, he's also exhausting. It's HARD to keep the house spotless for Jason, keep Sierra happy, and handle Jaymes. I don't have the ability to keep things structured, and when structure goes out the window, we have a wild, hyper, often goofy Jaymes. Goofy Jaymes means well, but he doesn't understand that throwing himself off the table and laughing until he hits the floor is bad. He doesn't get that Sierra isn't having fun when he squishes her against the wall or bites her.

Jaymes needs structure. There are some really great autism summer camps out this way, and those would be an excellent summer option for him, but for two things. #1, he's too young. #2, money. Oh, and transportation too. Jason will have the same 12-15 hour a day schedule he has now, meaning I'm at home, with no way to leave the house.

On the plus side, Jaymes does get ESY this year. I'm not sure how long it lasts, or even the dates, but I know it won't be the same class or teacher, and I'm thinking it's not even the same school. Jaymes loves school, but I think all the differences, the changes to his routine, could be more detrimental than helpful. But, if nothing else, ESY is good for MY mental health!

Negative stuff aside, I'm excited in a way. I really enjoy pulling out the kiddy pool and the blankets and sitting in the yard watching Jaymes swim and play in the sprinkler. Sierra prefers to just tan on the blanket, she's nt into water. Jaymes can spend hours enjoying the hose, and he's just so cute and talkative! Video evidence:

Note Sierra accusing Jaymes of getting her wet, and Jaymes says he's going to "beat it". I don't know what he was actually saying, but it sounded pretty good to me!

2 comments:

Jasmine said...

My sister goes to a summer camp from June to the middle of July. I know my mom used to get financial help with it. There was also a bus that comes to get her and take her home (the school is about 20-25 minutes away). If she doesn't go to her summer the school, the world as we know it is over. :)

luvmycrazyboy said...

Brandon did ESY last year and it started two weeks after school ended, and stopped 3-4 weeks before school started again. Last year it was at his school, this year it's in Sarasota. At his school it's regular school, just less structered.