Saturday, September 11, 2010

Easter Seals, I think I love you. also, a school update.

I know that in the past I have commented on the fact that Jaymes gets respite care hours through Easter Seals... Been getting that for the last couple years. Recently we were approved for personal assistance hours. 144 hours per three months. So that equals out to... 3 hours, 4 days a week. We met the gentleman who would be working with Jaymes, and we all really like him. He is a great guy, and he and Jaymes get along pretty well. He doesn't seem bothered by Jaymes meltdowns, and he's got a great sense of humor. Nice to have someone to talk to, I spend so much time by myself or with kids.

Anyway, I love this. Between Jaymes being at school and Sisi being at pre-school three days a week, I have time to do things! My house has stayed clean, because I have time to do it. My laundry has not piled up into the precarious mountain of death, because I have time to do it. My pasture has remained manure free, because I have time to do it. My school work, same thing. And I have time to ride Rocket at least a few times a week. That helps my brain out so so much. Yesterday I rode up past Piney Grove Elementary. Across the street is what will eventually be a little subdivision with big fancy houses. There's one house there now (which is so gorgeous I froth at the mouth with desire!) and then just a bunch of undeveloped land. Lots of great hills, for building up flabby pony muscles. On the way back I rode in the fields out there, and stopped to watch one of those sky writing planes. It was really need, although the skill of the pilot might be questionable, as I could not figure out what it was supposed to say. Saw some deer, had some very impression pony-spooks that involved sideways levitation... But a great ride. Feels so good to be able to ride more than once a week.

I have been told by friends that I seem much happier, less exhausted, and a little annoyingly perky. I guess that's a good thing!

As far as school goes, it looks like Jaymes will begin going out to the regular Kindergarten classroom on Monday. Very glad, I was a little worried that I'd have to fight for that again this year. I had a conversation with Jaymes' teacher, and asked that she drop the topic of potty training for now... But still got yet another note home about it, so I asked the principal to ask her to tone it down. I honestly shocked myself by mentioning it- I have not always been known for having much of a backbone. But Jaymes principal is a good person, and I like her a lot... Felt horribly bitchy to be complaining about it, but I do feel better having done so. My only regret is that, in a panic of actually voicing my concerns, I forgot most of what I had wanted to say. I think that I may have left the school thinking I just want Jaymes in diapers for life... And obviously, that's not what I meant to convey.

What I meant, when I asked that the potty training be dropped for the moment, was that the school focus on academics. I feel like if Jaymes is in underpants like the teacher suggested, he will constantly be wetting (or worse), thus interrupting academic time. And, if he is in underpants, what happens when he unexpectedly wets himself while he is in the regular kindergarten class? What normal kindergartener isn't going to laugh or tease? I know I would have, back then. He does not need to be any less "normal" than he is. I would rather Jaymes be in there, working on social skills and real teaching that will actually help him get somewhere besides Lowrance Middle School. I don't expect him to be mainstreamed, I don't expect him to be in the kindergarten class full time. I do expect the things that I fought for all year last year. I expect those things to happen. I don't want this teacher's opinion that because he is 6, he is ready for potty training, to interfere with this.

I would love for Jaymes to use the potty. I love Sierra using it. I would give that teacher a medal myself, if she managed it. But in my mind, when looking at potty training or academics... well, you all know where I stand.

Jaymes has a lot of people working with him. He has me, his dad, Mr. Anthony (the P.A. guy), three fabulous therapists, and an army of doctors. Many of us have been, and will continue to be, working on toileting skills. So I guess what I am trying to say is this: We are not ignoring the potty issue. It's being addressed in the way that I and the professional's feel is best. In the end, I'm Jaymes' mom, and I have the final say in this. It's not laziness- I doubt anyone who knows Jaymes and I would ever associate the word 'lazy' with us. My life revolves around giving Jaymes every opportunity to be a part of society, to give him a future outside a group home setting. The school has every right to question or suggest- but they need to remember that I know Jaymes best, and that above all, his best interests are closest to my heart.

No comments: